According to the MSHRM bylaws, membership is open to employees of a hospital or other healthcare provider whose responsibility is in, or actively participates in, the risk management, loss control, and/or patient safety function of that organization, or individuals who are actively involved in risk management activities on behalf of hospitals or other healthcare providers, such as:
• Patient representatives, safety officers, quality improvement professionals, clinical patient care providers
• Attorneys who consistently represents the interest of healthcare providers (with referral from an active MSHRM member)
• Commercial insurance agents, insurance brokers, insurance company employees, risk management consultants or employees of a company that exists for the benefit of healthcare provider interests
Individuals who are interested in furthering the goals of MSHRM (with referral from an active MSHRM member) or; students in a field related to healthcare risk management. A student member is a full-time student registered at an institution of higher learning and not eligible as a regular member (defined as one actively involved in the field of healthcare risk management or whose job responsibilities include healthcare risk management). To qualify, students must fax submit copy of a recent transcript or current membership card showing full-time student status along with their completed application. Each student application is reviewed prior to approval.
The MSHRM Board has decided to offer complimentary membership from now until June 30, 2021.
MSHRM's membership year is from July 1 to June 30.
Note: A $50 late fee applies to membership renewals that occur after the Fall Program.
Benefits of Membership
• Education - Members receive complimentary registrations to three outstanding and timely educational programs each year. Click here to see a list of our upcoming programs.
• Resources – Members receive an e-newsletter three to four times per year. The members' only portion of the MSHRM website offers access to a membership directory, materials from previous educational conferences, job postings, e-newsletter archives (including legislative updates) and other resources.
• Networking - Interaction with peers offers an exceptional opportunity for learning and professional development. MSHRM's educational programs, committee activities, and online membership directory provide excellent forums for effective networking with other risk management professionals.
• Discussion Forum – Members have the ability to interact with other members and gain real time feedback through an email listserv.
"I would like to comment on two important services that I see MSHRM provides: 1) networking; members offering assistance when asked & the fellowship of belonging to a dynamic professional organization and 2) education; invaluable information on current issues in risk and patient safety. Thanks for all you've done in my 20 plus years as a member!"
Sincerely, Diane Valley, MS, RN, CPHRM, AHRMQR
Manager of Clinical Safety
Quality & Patient Safety Department
Spectrum Health United and Kelsey Hospitals
"I have been a member of MSHRM for 17 years. I started by attending the "School of Hard Knocks" at the annual meeting, then presenting that same session a few years later. I am now completing my term as a member of the Board of Directors. The networking, education and friendships that I have experienced over the years have enhanced my career as a Risk Manager. I am proud to be affiliated with this exceptional organization."
Sincerely, Julie Erickson
Director, Risk Management
Mercy Health Partners
I hereby apply for membership in MSHRM.
I understand that membership is a privilege granted by the MSHRM Board, that it is subject to annual renewal and that the particular membership status granted is subject to change at the date of annual renewal.
I agree to inform the Society promptly of any and all changes in name, address, telephone, etc., to participate in the activities of the Society and to pay my dues promptly when requested annually to do so.
I agree to support the mission of MSHRM in healthcare risk management and to conduct my professional activities in a manner to support healthcare organizations and providers, in accord with the ethics established by the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM).